Application for professional qualifications for blasting leaders

A blasting leader manages and is responsible for blasting work during, for example, building and civil engineering work.

The blasting leader is responsible for the work taking place in a professional way, for seeing that those who work in the blasting team receive the necessary instructions, as well as for the explosive goods and equipment being handled and stored correctly.

The employer is responsible for the blasting leader having the correct training and permit.


A blasting leader must have documented theoretical knowledge about blasting as well as at least one year’s practical experience of blasting work. Most common is that the blasting leader has a so called ’blasting card’. In order to obtain this, one needs to have undergone the training ’Basic Course in blasting techniques’. One must also have at least 1 year practice within the area during the last five years. A blasting card is valid for 10 years and must thereafter be renewed. It is the responsibility of the employer to see that the blasting leader practises and renews their knowledge.

Blasting cards are issued in two classes

Class A gives accreditation for all professional blasting.

Class B applies to less complicated types of blasting, for example the reduction of field stones, cement blocks, boats, and precision controlled rock blasting.

It is not compulsory to have a blasting card if one, in another way, can prove that one has the theoretical knowledge required. A permit to be a blasting leader is not issued, over and above demands being placed upon training and practical experience and this being able to be proved. 

The Swedish Work Environment Authority can only assess your qualifications if you obtained them
in the EU/EEA

  • in another country, but you have had them approved in another EU/EEA country.

How to apply

The application must contain

  • an educational certificate issued to you, showing the course content, for example in Word or as a pdf.
  • your name
  • your date of birth or national ID number
  • a postal address or telephone number for you
  • if required for your profession, you must also send a certificate from an employer or similar that shows that you have the correct experience, for example in pdf format.

    Send the application to

We will acknowledge within one month at the latest that we have received your application. If necessary, we will ask you for additional information.

We will forward your application to the Swedish Council for Higher Education, which will assess whether your education is adequate.

We will send you notification by email within three months of your application being complete.

  1. You have the right to appeal our decision
    The decision letter will set out how to do so. Set out why you think we should change our decision. Send your appeal to the Swedish Work Environment Authority.

  2. We will decide whether to reassess your application
    We will first decide whether to reassess your application. If we do so and decide to change our initial decision, you will receive notification by email.

  3. If we do not reassess the application, we will send the appeal to a court of law
    The Swedish Work Environment Authority will send the appeal to a court of law, that is to say the local administrative court. We will also send your application and all other documents in your case.

  4. The court will take a decision
    The court will take account of all the documents in the case and take a decision. You will receive notification directly from the court.

If you have any questions

Contact our answering service by telephone on 010-730 90 00 if you have any questions.

Last updated 2022-12-01