Application for professional qualification for diving work

Diving work is work carried out under water. Examples of work are building and civil engineering work, sanitation, inspection.

In order to carry out diving work in Sweden, you must have a diving certificate of at least the same level as an applicable Swedish professional diving certificate. You can obtain help in assessing whether your qualifications correspond to the requirements in the Swedish Work Environment provisions.

Requirement of knowledge

Those who carry out or participate in diving work must have theoretical and practical knowledge corresponding to the demands the work can and will require. These demands are calculated taking into account the diving and work equipment used, as well as the working tasks that must be carried out.

The knowledge must be documented in the form of a certificate or proof of education. The certificate or proof of education must be issued by a national or international authority or organisation and clearly state the scope of the knowledge.

Maintenance of knowledge

The employer must ensure that those who carry out or participate in diving work maintain sufficient knowledge and proficiency.

The Swedish Work Environment Authority can only assess your qualifications if you obtained them

  • in the EU/EEA
  • in another country, but you have had them approved in another EU/EEA country.

How to apply

The application must contain

  • an educational certificate issued to you, showing the course content, for example in Word or as a pdf.
  • your name
  • your date of birth or national ID number
  • a postal address or telephone number for you
  • if required for your profession, you must also send a certificate from an employer or similar that shows that you have the correct experience, for example in pdf format.

    Send the application to

We will acknowledge within one month at the latest that we have received your application. If necessary, we will ask you for additional information.

We will forward your application to the Swedish Council for Higher Education, which will assess whether your education is adequate.

We will send you notification by email within three months of your application being complete.

  1. You have the right to appeal our decision
    The decision letter will set out how to do so. Set out why you think we should change our decision. Send your appeal to the Swedish Work Environment Authority.

  2. We will decide whether to reassess your application
    We will first decide whether to reassess your application. If we do so and decide to change our initial decision, you will receive notification by email.

  3. If we do not reassess the application, we will send the appeal to a court of law
    The Swedish Work Environment Authority will send the appeal to a court of law, that is to say the local administrative court. We will also send your application and all other documents in your case.

  4. The court will take a decision
    The court will take account of all the documents in the case and take a decision. You will receive notification directly from the court.

If you have any questions

Contact our answering service by telephone on 010-730 90 00 if you have any questions.

Last updated 2022-10-12