In certain cases, doctors are required to report illnesses or diseases that may be related to work or the working environment. Such notifications must be sent to the Swedish Work Environment Authority.
As a doctor, you must, for example, report illnesses or diseases, symptoms and problems that:
- point to poor working conditions or inadequate procedures for work adaptation and rehabilitation;
- have affected many people doing a certain type of work (when this number is greater than expected, or more than usual for this type of work or at a certain workplace);
- become more common over time;
- may be caused by exposure to carcinogens or mutagenic substances; or
- are new, unexpected or unusual and can be linked to the work done by the patient.
You can read more about this in Section 2 of the Swedish Work Environment Ordinance.
Work Environment Ordinance (Swedish), external website, opens in a new window
Description of the notification process
Send a notification
- Fill out the notification
- Fill out the form below.
- Please note that you need to fill in the form and submit your notification at the same time.
- Send your notification to us
- Click on the submit-button in the form.
If you rather want to send a physical letter
Send the information in a letter and post this to:
Arbetsmiljöverket (the Swedish Working Environment Authority)
171 09 Solna
You will receive an automatic response
You will receive an automatic response at the email address you specified, with confirmation that we have received your notification. If you send us a letter, we will respond by letter.
We read all notifications
We read all notifications and evaluate whether we have to inspect the workplace or not.
If we inspect
We will inspect the workplace in the six weeks after receiving your notification. Among other things, we will inspect the working environment problems that you described in your notification.
You will receive a letter, in which we will inform you that the inspection has been completed. If you wish to read up on the inspection, you can request the documents in question by contacting the Swedish Working Environment’s registry clerk on email:
If we do not inspect
We decide not to inspect. You will receive a notification message about this.
Do you have any questions?
Contact our response service:
Last updated 2023-02-08