Application for machining or treatment of asbestos or materials containing asbestos
You must have a permit from the Swedish Work Environment Authority for the machining or treatment of asbestos or materials containing asbestos.
Applications must be submitted no later than five weeks prior to commencement of the work.
Permits are not transferable. This means that you cannot use a permit issued to another company for the same workplace.
You can apply for two types of permit:
- Specific permit – if you are performing work at a specific address
- General permit – if the work is being planned but the exact location is not known.
How to apply
Use the application form
- Fill in the application form.
It is important we receive contact details of someone at the company who can answer questions about the application. This need not be a manager or project manager, but it is important that we can contact them easily during office hours.
You must also enclose:
- Training certificates for supervisors and people working with asbestos.
- Fitness for work certificates if you estimate that the work will take more than 50 hours per calendar year. Enclose a fitness for work certificate for anyone working with asbestos.
- Your handling and safety instructions for the work. If you are applying for a general permit, the instructions must describe how you will carry out the planned work.
- A statement from your local or regional safety representative.
Asbestos machining permit application, pdf, opens in a new window
- Send the application to
or by post:
Swedish Work Environment Authority
171 09 Solna
Provide supplementary information as required
We will contact the contact person and request additional information if the application is incomplete. You will then have two weeks to complete the application, but you can ask for more time if necessary. Applications will normally be rejected if we do not receive the supplementary information we require. We will contact you by email in the first instance.
An inspection may be carried out
An inspection may be required if the machining or treatment of asbestos or materials containing asbestos is complex or if we have difficulty interpreting your application.
You can appeal
- You can appeal if your application is rejected.
You are entitled to appeal our decision. The decision letter will state what you must do. Send your appeal to the Swedish Work Environment Authority. Describe why you think we should amend our decision.
- We will then decide whether to reconsider the application.
We will first decide whether to reconsider the application again. If we do and we subsequently decide to amend our initial decision, you will be notified, normally by email.
- The appeal will be heard by a court of law if we do not reconsider the application.
We will send your appeal to the court, i.e. the administrative court in the region where the decision on your application has been made.
If you have any questions
Contact our helpline on telephone +46 0107309000 if you have any questions.
Last updated 2023-01-27