Blasting and working with explosive substances

Blasting work is common during building and civil engineering work. Blasting is undertaken in rock for the laying of foundations prior to the erection of buildings, to build tunnels, to lay pipe, or to install cables.

Blasting entails different types of preparatory rock work, as well as drilling and work with explosives. Carrying out blasting and rockwork is risky, and it should therefore be carried out and managed by persons with special competence.

The Swedish Work Environment Authority has special regulations for blasting and rockwork, which must be followed. Work with blasting should be described as a part of the work environment plan. It is particularly important that all the affected parties at the construction site are informed about the risks and how one should act in places where rock blasting takes place.

Suitable courses for rock blasting contractors are scrutinised and approved by, among others, the Council for Blasting Practice Training (RfSU). RfSU has, among other things, developed and established different syllabuses in blasting techniques, adapted for different goals such as surface blasting, underground blasting, and etcetera.

Over and above those who blast and manage blasting work, suitable knowledge about blasting and rock work is required for:

  • drilling in rock
  • carrying out different rockwork (for example clearing rock, carrying out reinforcement of rock)
  • handling, storing and transporting explosives
  • being a machine operator during rock and blasting work
  • commissioning and coordinating rockwork.

You can find more information and recommendations about blasting and rock work during building and civil engineering work here:

The Swedish Rock Blasting Contractors’ Association’s website, opens in a new window

SweMin, Swedish Association of Mines, Minerals and Metal Producers’ website, opens in a new window

Swedish Rock materials industry’s website, opens in a new window

To carry out blasting and stone splitting, special permission is required from the police. A permit is also required for transporting and storing explosives.

Was the information on this page useful?

In order for us to respond to your comments, you need to enter an email address.

If you have a question, want to report abuse at a workplace or give us tips on workplaces where the working environment is not good? Contact us via our contact form.

Contact form

Last updated 2016-04-26