Application for permission to use biocides
Permission is required before using rat poison (rodenticides) because it is categorised as a biocide in authorisation class 1 So.
Depending on the site to be protected, either the Public Health Agency of Sweden or the Swedish Work Environment Authority will make the decision on this permission:
- Swedish Work Environment Authority: If you will be using the rat poison in locations to which the general public does not have access, such as warehouses or animal stables.
- Public Health Agency of Sweden: If you will be using the rat poison in housing or locations to which the general public has access.
Special expertise is required to ensure rat poison is used in a safe manner. Although both the Swedish Board of Agriculture and Public Health Agency of Sweden offer rat poison training courses, you will still need permission before using it.
How to apply for permission
Fill out the form and submit the application
- Fill out the application
- Fill out the form below.
- You must also submit a certificate of your completed training (e.g. in PDF format) from the Swedish Board of Agriculture or Public Health Agency of Sweden to confirm that you have the necessary expertise.
- Please note that you need to fill in the form and submit your application at the same time.
- Send your application to us
- Click on the submit-button in the form.
If you rather want to send a physical letter
Print this form and send it to Arbetsmiljöverket (Swedish Work Environment Authority), 112 79 Stockholm, Sweden.
Application for permission to use biocides, form in Swedish, pdf, opens in a new window
You can expect a decision within three months
If everything is as it should be, we will proceed to make a decision on whether or not you will receive the permission. We will inform you of our decision within three months, and do so by email wherever possible.
If we believe that you are lacking certain expertise or find other shortcomings in the application, you may not be granted the permission in the end. We will send you a decision letter, usually by email.
Supplement the application if required
If the application does not contain all the information necessary, we will get in touch and ask you to supplement it. You will then have two weeks to complete the application, although you can also request more time. If we do not receive the supplementary information, we usually reject the application. We will contact you by email primarily.
If you are not granted the permission, you can appeal
- You can appeal oif you are not granted permission
It is your right to appeal our decision. The decision letter will set out what you need to do. Please send your appeal to the Swedish Work Environment Authority, and describe why you believe that we should change our decision.
- We decide if we will re-visit your application.
Deciding whether or not to re-visit the application is the first step. If we do this and decide to change our first decision, we will notify you of this, probably by email.
- If we do not re-assess the application, your appeal will be referred onward by us to a court, which in this case will be an administrative court.
Contact the administrative court if you would like to check the progress of your appeal.
Do you have any questions?
Contact our response service: