Application for permission to use biocides (rat poison)
Depending on the site to be protected, either the Public Health Agency of Sweden or the Swedish Work Environment Authority will make the decision on this permission:
- Swedish Work Environment Authority: If you will be using the rat poison in locations to which the general public does not have access, such as warehouses or animal stables.
- Public Health Agency of Sweden: If you will be using the rat poison in housing or locations to which the general public has access.
Special expertise is required to ensure rat poison is used in a safe manner. Although both the Swedish Board of Agriculture and Public Health Agency of Sweden offer rat poison training courses, you will still need permission before using it.
How to apply for permission
- Fill out the application
- Use the form (or use the pdf) and fill out the following information:
- Personal identity number
- Contact details
- Where you are going to use the rat poison
- What type of substance you are going to use, e.g. rodenticides class 1 So.
You must also submit a certificate of your completed training (e.g. in PDF format) from the Swedish Board of Agriculture or Public Health Agency of Sweden to confirm that you have the necessary expertise.
Application for permission to use biocedes class 1 So, (Swedish) form
- If you use the form (pdf)
Application for permission to use biocides class 1 So (Swedish), pdf, open in a new window
Please email your application to
or post to
Arbetsmiljöverket (Swedish Work Environment Authority)
171 09 Solna, Sweden
If the application does not contain all the information necessary, we will get in touch and ask you to supplement it. You will then have two weeks to complete the application, although you can also request more time. If we do not receive the supplementary information, we usually reject the application. We will contact you by email primarily.
If everything is as it should be, we will proceed to make a decision on whether or not you will receive the permission. We will inform you of our decision within three months, and do so by email wherever possible.
If we believe that you are lacking certain expertise or find other shortcomings in the application, you may not be granted the permission in the end. We will send you a decision letter, usually by email.
- If you are not granted the permission, you can appeal.
It is your right to appeal our decision. The decision letter will set out what you need to do. Please send your appeal to the Swedish Work Environment Authority, and describe why you believe that we should change our decision.
- After this point, we will decide whether or not to re-visit the application.
Deciding whether or not to re-visit the application is the first step. If we do this and decide to change our first decision, we will notify you of this, probably by email.
- If we do not re-assess the application, your appeal will be referred onward by us to a court,
which in this case will be an administrative court.
Contact the administrative court if you would like to check the progress of your appeal.
If you have any questions
You can call our support team on +46(0)10-730 90 00.
Last updated 2020-12-14